Weekly Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

bridge-to-immortality

Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality

“Individuals can develop a taste for meditation upon pure, unbounded and eternal consciousness.  The key is to do in life that which one can scarcely do after death.”

— Aquarian Almanac

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality

• Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of ModeratorTNModeratorTN

Oct. 15, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality
    “There is a bridge between time and eternity; and this bridge is atman, the spirit in man.”
    —Upanishads
    “I feel again a spark of that ancient flame.”
    — Virgil
    “Man is something to be surpassed.”
    —Friedrich Nietzsche

• Profile photo of barbara
      barbara
      Participant
      Profile photo of barbarabarbara

“The Bridge to Immortality,” is this just a metaphor or something tangible on the subtle plane? If the latter, how does one build this bridge?

• Profile photo of Gerry Kiffe
        Gerry Kiffe
        Profile photo of Gerry KiffeGerry Kiffe

Yes, good point. Perhaps the Bridge to Immortality is another term for The Path or Pilgrimage of Mankind or The Quest for Enlightenment, or Self-Knowledge or The Spiritual Quest. They all mean more or less the same you would think.

• Profile photo of Sharon Ormerod
      Sharon Ormerod
      Participant
      Profile photo of Sharon OrmerodSharon Ormerod

Speaking of “immortality, I came upon this quote from HPB in her Collected Writings. It’s a bit of a heavy read but that said, she really describes our immortal essence, and as Judge said, we are already immortal. The bridge is a metaphor for the steps we take to “walk back into or awaken to” our mortality………… Whether it be orthodox Adwaita or not, I maintain as an occultist, on the authority of the Secret Doctrine, that though merged entirely into Parabrahm, man’s spirit while not individual per se, yet preserves its distinct individuality in Paranirvana, owing to the accumulation in it of the aggregates, or  skandhas that have survived after each death, from the highest faculties of the Manas. The most spiritual—i.e., the highest and divinest aspirations of every personality follow Buddhi and the Seventh Principle into Devachan (Swarga) after the death of each personality along the line of rebirths, and become part and parcel of the Monad. The personality fades out, disappearing before the occurrence of the evolution of the new personality (rebirth) out of Devachan: but the individuality of the spirit-soul … is preserved to the end of the great cycle (Maha-Manwantara) when each Ego enters Paranirvana, or is merged in Parabrahm. … That such Parabrahmic and Paranirvanic “spirits,” or units, have and must preserve their divine (not human) individualities, is shown in the fact that, however long the “night of Brahma” or even the Universal Pralaya (not the local Pralaya affecting some one group of worlds) yet, when it ends, the same individual Divine Monad resumes its majestic path of evolution, though on a higher, hundredfold perfected and more pure chain of earths than before, and brings with it all the essence of compound spiritualities from its previous countless rebirths. CW 7, p. 51-2

Gerry Kiffe

Sharon would you mind telling us what struck you the most about this passage? It is very interesting and thought provoking.

Sharon Ormerod
          Participant

As I understand it, if we can but “recover” to our true selves, that spark of higher self that is “the watcher” of this life time, we will have taken another step on the bridge from lower to higher mind, to awaken within that higher life. Sometimes, during the entanglement of our lives, we forget our immortality; we need to reconnect with the concept that we have existed and will always exist. This is why I always say, that theosophy can be applied to everyday life, even if the original writings are quite deep and bare studying. This passage reminded me of our immortality, and as I say to my friends, no matter what, we will find each other, across eternity. (by the way, sorry for the double comment quote, I was trying to correct the line “to “walk back into or awaken to” our mortality… to read “walk back into or awaken to” our immortality…” best regards

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

October 17, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality

“Perfection in meditation comes from perservering devotion to the Supreme Soul.”

— Patanjali

• Profile photo of Grace Cunningham
    Grace Cunningham
    Participant
    Profile photo of Grace CunninghamGrace Cunningham

Mr. Judge wrote, ” we are now living our immortal lives.” It is not something subject to time obviously. Therefore an immortal perspective is available at any time. I suppose this is why meditation is so important.

Sharon Ormerod
      Participant

Yes Grace, I agree with you. Meditation is the way out of our “conditioned” minds into real consciousness. Watching our lower mind produce thoughts during meditation and yet not being “of the thoughts”, enhances the art of “watching” ourselves as we walk through daily life. I believe the term “the bridge” is a metaphor to describe the steps we take as we gradually become more conscious in our higher mind. At least that’s my experience, our path is always our own…. best regards.

Gerry Kiffe

Yes, part of meditation is putting the personality aside one would think. Trying to return self-consciously to our immortal center.

• Profile photo of Odin Townley
    Odin Townley
    Participant
    Profile photo of Odin TownleyOdin Townley

“Thou shalt not separate thy being from BEING, and the rest, but merge the Ocean in the drop, the drop within the Ocean.”

– The Voice of the Silence

bridge-to-immortality

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/voice/voice3.htm

Sharon Ormerod
    Participant

Speaking of “immortality, I came upon this quote from HPB in her Collected Writings. It’s a bit of a heavy read but that said, she really describes our immortal essence, and as Judge said, we are already immortal. The bridge is a metaphor for the steps we take to “walk back into or awaken to” our immortality………… Whether it be orthodox Adwaita or not, I maintain as an occultist, on the authority of the Secret Doctrine, that though merged entirely into Parabrahm, man’s spirit while not individual per se, yet preserves its distinct individuality in Paranirvana, owing to the accumulation in it of the aggregates, or skandhas that have survived after each death, from the highest faculties of the Manas. The most spiritual—i.e., the highest and divinest aspirations of every personality follow Buddhi and the Seventh Principle into Devachan (Swarga) after the death of each personality along the line of rebirths, and become part and parcel of the Monad. The personality fades out, disappearing before the occurrence of the evolution of the new personality (rebirth) out of Devachan: but the individuality of the spirit-soul … is preserved to the end of the great cycle (Maha-Manwantara) when each Ego enters Paranirvana, or is merged in Parabrahm. … That such Parabrahmic and Paranirvanic “spirits,” or units, have and must preserve their divine (not human) individualities, is shown in the fact that, however long the “night of Brahma” or even the Universal Pralaya (not the local Pralaya affecting some one group of worlds) yet, when it ends, the same individual Divine Monad resumes its majestic path of evolution, though on a higher, hundredfold perfected and more pure chain of earths than before, and brings with it all the essence of compound spiritualities from its previous countless rebirths. CW 7, p. 51-2

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

October 18, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality
    “The mind, as it exerts all its powers to the limit of human capacity, is flooded with light.”
    —Plato
    “If we meditate we shall life ourselves above the dark environment of the brain.”
    — George William Russell

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

October 19, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality

“Seeing the atman in all beings, and all beings in the atman, one attains the highest Brahman — not by any other means.“

— Kaivalya Upanishad

“You ascend by understanding and love beyond any kind of intellect, to life itself, pure existence, absolute being.“

— Marsilio Ficino

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

October 20, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality
    “I shall not say what I felt
    For I remained in unknowing
    Transcending all knowledge.”
    — John of the Cross
    ” Every aspiration higher brightens up the road connecting the Higher and the lower self.”
    — W.Q. Judge

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

October 21, 2016 Theme for Contemplation: The Bridge to Immortality
    “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God?”
    — Jesus
    “The primary imagination I hold to be a repetition in the finite mind of the eternal act of creation in the infinite I AM.”
    — Samuel Taylor Coleridge

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar