Art of Living Study Group

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

• Creator
    Topic

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

“No one chooses except by the power of the Tao.” — Aquarian Almanac

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 24, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

God is the centre of everything, whose circumference is nowhere to be found.

— Robert Fludd

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 25, 2018 Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

Tao abides in non-action, yet nothing is left undone. — Lao Tzu

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 26, 2018 Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

It flows between us, over us, and with us. And it is time, strength, tone, light, life and love. — Robert Frost

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 27, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

Be like the Ocean which receives all streams and rivers. The Ocean’s mighty calm remains unmoved; it feels them not..

— The Voice of the Silence

• Grace Cunningham
    Participant
    Grace Cunningham

Is choosing the Tao any different than choosing the Atman, Buddha, Christ?

• Ramprakash ML
      Participant
      Ramprakash ML

It is the same. Atman is the one True Self, the Self of All. As the Upanishad say of it that there is nothing that is not included in it, there is nothing that is not encompassed by it.

That Thou Art

• barbara
      Participant
      barbara

The literal meaning of the word Tao in Chinese is road or way. It became to mean something more and specific with different teachers.

• Jon Fergus
        Jon Fergus

Just a few thoughts on the meaning of Tao.

Charles Johnston (and some other translators) relates the term Tao to the term “Logos”, which I think is an apt approach.

A fellow student recently pointed this out to me, from the Secret Doctrine, II:335:

“… the mode of thought in which they [ancient religious texts] were originally written has to be found out and closely adhered to during the process of interpretation. For, it is either symbolical (archaic mode of thought), emblematical (a later though very ancient mode of thought), parabolical (allegory), hieroglyphical, or again logo-grammical — the most difficult method of all, as every letter, as in the Chinese language, represents a whole word. Thus, almost every proper name, whether in the Vedas, the “Book of the Dead,” or the Bible (to a degree), is composed of such logograms.”

I had put the following together a while back, about the meaning of “Tao”, which follows that “logogram” approach:

The Meaning of Tao

HPB also seems to link Tao with Svabhavat, and also with Anima Mundi in the Glossary:

“It [the Tao Te Ching] is a kind of cosmogony which contains all the fundamental tenets of Esoteric Cosmo genesis. Thus he says that in the beginning there was naught but limitless and boundless Space. All that lives and is, was born in it, from the “Principle which exists by Itself, developing Itself from Itself”, i.e., Swabhâvat. As its name is unknown and it essence is unfathomable, philosophers have called it Tao (Anima Mundi), the uncreate, unborn and eternal energy of nature, manifesting periodically.” …

The curious thing for me is that HPB calls the Tao Te Ching a “kind of cosmogony”, but anyone who has read English translations of it won’t really see any cosmogony at all in there. The exoteric version, read “logo-syllabically” is more about general morals and ethics etc., but I have my suspicions that a “logogrammatic” interpretation would reveal the cosmogony that HPB hints at. I tried to get into that a bit a while back, especially in chapter 2 in the following translation, but it’s tough going:

Tao Te Ching: A New Translation (in progress)

In any case, I suspect the term “Tao” is one that may have a very deep meaning, the kind that gets ever-deeper as we study or meditate on it more.

• Ramprakash ML
          Participant
          Ramprakash ML

What does this information well collated amount to ?

This student feels that Tao is THAT and THIS, both – in fact both are ONE : THAT or Tad in Sanskrit, is Absolute, the Unknown and Unknowable; This, meaning Jagat, manifests universe that periodically arise in it again and again following immutable Cyclic and Karmic LAW

In short, Tao is that LAW

Whence the tendencies inherent in svabhavat which unfolds the universe with its specific qualities unique to it ?

It is the Law which reproduces the universe after its dissolution on the lines of the resultant of the Karma of all beings who formed the previous “wheel.”

It may be called Dharma

As Upanishad says that Dharma has basis in Truth (Sat) – Satye Dharma pratishtitam

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 28, 2018 Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

Blessed is he who has found his work; let him ask no other blessedness.
    — Thomas Carlyle

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 29, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

In humility is the greatest freedom. As long as you have to defend the imaginary self that you think important, you lose your peace of heart.

-Thomas Merton

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

March 30, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Choosing the Tao

He is the disinterested spectator: this is the hallmark of him who is free even in life — CLAUDE HOUGHTON

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar