Art of Living Study Group

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

“Anyone who can vibrate in mind, heart and self to the great universal impulse of
    these mighty beings may serve as a focal point through which some mitigation of
    human misery and some elevation of consciousness is possible.” — Aquarian Almanac

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of ModeratorTNModeratorTN

July 8, 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

The gods, the saints or common men, whoever realized
    their identity with Essence, have become All.
    — BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD

Where there is ‘I’ there is bondage, where there is
    no ‘I’ there is release. — ASHTAVAKRA GITA

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 9, 2017 Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

Truth is only one, its language also is one, and all who walk in this way must
    say the same things, without seeing or knowing each other.
    — CLAUDE de ST.-MARTIN

All the World-Saviours, the Bodhisattvas and the Avataras, are the trees of
    salvation grown out from the one seed, the bija or ‘Maha Vishnu’.
    — H. P. BLAVATSKY

• Profile photo of Grace Cunningham
    Grace Cunningham
    Participant
    Profile photo of Grace CunninghamGrace Cunningham

Gratitude is a spiritual quality. It a mental posture of devotion of the lower mind to the higher mind. It is a recognition of the source of what vitalizes and enriches our lives. Gratitude is one of the graces of the disciple. Even the Great Ones have gratitude. I believe in the Mahatma Letters they are shown to say, “Ingratitude is not one of our vices”, when discussing how they respond to those willing to help their cause of reducing human suffering and ignorance.

• Profile photo of Gerry Kiffe
      Gerry Kiffe
      Profile photo of Gerry KiffeGerry Kiffe

Is gratitude born from a growing sense of Oneness? Is it a reaching out of the child to the parent, the lower to the higher?

• Profile photo of Pavel Axentiev
    Pavel Axentiev
    Participant
    Profile photo of Pavel AxentievPavel Axentiev

I would venture to say that there are higher levels than gratitude: perhaps, adoration and fascination.

• Profile photo of Pierre Wouters
      Pierre Wouters
      Profile photo of Pierre WoutersPierre Wouters

Perhaps Pavel,
      unless there’s an aspect or quality for each one on every level, I don’t think there’s a need to separate them, maybe they could exist in co-adunition or they can be different facets of one and the same.

Krishna refers in the Bhagavad Gita often to the term (spiritual) sacrifice, which may equally include respect, knowledge, non-attachment, devotion, wisdom, gratitude, etc.

Just a thought for contemplation.

Gerry Kiffe

It seems to me that at some point all the virtues and graces of the Sage merge into one. There is a way to see some element of any one of the virtues in any of the others. But I think we can say gratitude is a prerequisite for real learning and growth. It appears to be a heart quality of intuiting the source of some benefit.

Pavel Axentiev
    Participant

Can gratitude be induced? In other words, can one make oneself be grateful? Or is it something spontaneous? Or, perhaps, can it be developed in the long run and through what kind of practices?

Pavel Axentiev
      Participant

One answer is that gratitude is induced by remembrance and proper appreciation of what it is to be grateful for.

Gerry Kiffe

Absolutely. It is a practice.

Pavel Axentiev
        Participant

Pardon my fastidiousness, but is it really a practice, or a result of practice?

In my mind, I cannot force myself to be grateful, but it may come as a result of a certain mental effort (of focusing on or remembering certain things).

It is sort of similar, in my opinion, to what we read on bodhicitta (see Wikipedia):

Bodhicitta is a spontaneous wish to attain enlightenment motivated by great compassion for all sentient beings, accompanied by a falling away of the attachment to the illusion of an inherently existing self. (Italics mine.-PA)

Note the word spontaneous. An external imitation of being grateful, or even an internal strain to feel grateful are equivalent to gratitude meant here.

Gerry Kiffe

It is both. My grandmother used to count her blessings every morning. One by one, all the things she had to be grateful for, a home, a job, a family etc. It made her eternally cheerful. She made gratitude or being grateful a practice. She took time out of her busy schedule to remember all of the things she had to be grateful for. It made the hardships go easier too. The more one practices patience the more one feels patience. That sort of thing. In AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) they call it “fake it until you make it”. You cannot deepen gratitude without practicing it. I believe the Mahatmas have an elevated appreciation for gratitude and a realization of it that would make the ordinary example of it look profoundly small.

Like everything else in Theosophy there is an endless ocean of possibility. I think what it means to think theosophically is to perpetually elevate an idea or ideas, to seek to see it in relation to the universal ideal which is beyond expression.

Pierre Wouters

Nicely put Gerry,

I think HPB sums it up by going to the heart of the matter in the Third fundamental (SD I:17):

“The pivotal doctrine of the Esoteric philosophy admits no privileges or special gifts in man, save those won by his own Ego through personal effort and merit throughout a long series of metempsychoses and reincarnations.”

That includes gratitude and all its derivatives and associated longings.

Of course, all these qualities are pre-existent in the Logos, but that is just potential, and have to be put to good use under manifested conditions.

Pierre Wouters

Nice find and quote there Pavel, on Boddhicitta.

Thanks.

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 10, 2017 Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

The gods, the saints or common men, whoever realized
    their identity with Essence, have become All.
    — BRIHADARANYAKA UPANISHAD

Where there is ‘I’ there is bondage, where there is
    no ‘I’ there is release. — ASHTAVAKRA GITA

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 11, 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

Back of all is the Great Lodge, ever watchful, ever
    working; never doubt that. — ROBERT CROSBIE

We could work like those who have made the Great
    Sacrifice. — GEORGE WILLIAM RUSSELL

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 12, 2017 Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

My desire for knowledge is intermittent; but my desire to commune with the
    spirit of the universe, to be intoxicated even with the fumes, call it, of divine nectar,
    to bear my head through atmospheres and over heights unknown to my feet, is
    perennial and constant. — HENRY DAVID THOREAU

• Profile photo of barbara
    barbara
    Participant
    Profile photo of barbarabarbara

One way of looking at gratitude, like many other virtues, is that it is a result of understanding the Teachings. They grow as our understanding deepens and eventually become part of our being. Gratitude naturally expresses itself when the situation arises.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of barbara barbara.
      Gerry Kiffe

Yet another way to look at gratitude is the acknowledgement and appreciation of benefit. Everything that sustains a person is grounds for gratitude. I suspect that the cloud of personal consciousness could be characterized as a fog of ingratitude. Our bodies, our food, our thoughts, our ideas, our homes, our friends, our inspiration, our spiritual teachings etc. etc. all came from outside of personal consciousness. The persona can lay no ownership claims to any of these things. Therefore it might be true that the most enlightened view is one of supreme feeling of gratitude, born of some degree of realization that the SELF is All in All.

“The fundamental identity of all Souls with the Universal Over-Soul.” The persona is a vehicle for the Soul.

• Profile photo of Laura
        Laura
        Participant
        Profile photo of LauraLaura

So true Gerry. A great contemplation is to think about all the beings involved in providing us with our moment of contemplation. It becomes a countless number on all planes of our being.

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 13, 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

O Awakened Ones, who for countless aeons
    Generated compassion out of mercy for beings,
    Delight in the thoughts of my prayers.
    The time is right to work the good of the world.
    — NAGARJUNA

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

July 14, 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Gratitude to the Guruparampara

They who are intelligent and free from sorrow are enabled to ascend above the
    paradise of the Gods; and when they there have seen the subjection of man to birth
    and death and the sorrows by which he is afflicted, they open the doors of the
    immortal. — TCHED-DU BRJOD-PAI TSOMS

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar