Art of Living Study Group

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: The Jivanmukta

• Creator
    Topic

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

“When the egoic principle is purified of all positive and negative
    desire, it is possible to experience universal selfhood.” — Aquarian Almanac

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

Oh! the wonderous splendour beneath the Banyan Tree: there sits Gurudeva, a youth; the disciples are elders; the Teaching is Silence, and all doubts are dispelled.
    — DAKSHINAMURTI STOTRA

• James
      Participant
      James

Does anyone have a simple but precise description of who or what is meant by the Gurudeva…

• Peter
        Peter

Hi James,

In the Grimes ‘Concise Dictionary of Indian Philosophy’ we find one of the entries under GURU as follows:

5. In Hinduism the true guru is God — “guru-deva

When applied to a guru in the form of a person, the implication is that that guru is one with God or one with the Self or the Divine.

The term also appears to have a general use when referring to highly respected gurus and we find the same in theosophical circles when some of the Mahatma KH’s chelas referred to him as their gurudeva (eg. Dāmador).

In the Secret Doctrine the divine instructors (Dhyanis) of third & fourth root race humanity are referred to as gurudevas. (See SD II 605).

So, divine instructor/teacher seems to be an underlying meaning of the term. Other people might have something more specific to offer.

Peter
        ~~

• Peter
        Peter

As to the question of ‘who?’– Dakshinamurti is said to be a name or incarnation of Lord Siva. He is the silent teacher and the guru of gurus.

The authorship of the Dakshinamurti Stotra is given to Adi Sankaracarya. In the first verse of that work he writes:

‘The universe, like even the city being seen in the mirror, is within oneself. But, just as in sleep, one sees the world as though it is created outside, while all along it remains on the substratum of one’s own atman. Whosever realises his own non-dual atman on gaining knowledge, is indeed the same as the Lord Dakshinamurti, who is in the form of the Teacher. This is my prostration to Him.’
        (Trans. Swami Tattvavidananda Saraswati)

Swami Chinmayananda, in his commentary, draws from the Daksinamurti Upanishad to explain the meaning of the term.

‘Lord Siva, in order to instruct the rishis and the seers assumed the form of a guru, and sitting on the peak of Kailāsa, He turned southward to serve all seekers. . . . The term “daksina” means “that divine power of subtle perception which is generated in a fully integrated pure intellect”. This daksina-power, when flowing towards the vāsanā-conditioned hearts of disciples is called “turned-southward”, and this is Siva…’. (Hymn to Daksinamurty)

~~

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

October 29, 2019 Theme for Contemplation: Manasadharma

Of chief importance for practice and insight
    Is your Guru’s overbrooding influence.
    This is conditioned by your attitude and conviction,
    So approach him with one-pointed mind.
    — LOSANG KALSANG GYATSO, VII DALAI LAMA

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

October 26, 2019 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: The Jivanmukta

Oh! the wonderous splendour beneath the Banyan Tree: there sits Gurudeva, a youth; the disciples are elders; the Teaching is Silence, and all doubts are dispelled.
    — DAKSHINAMURTI STOTRA

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

October 27, 2019 Theme for Contemplation: The Jivanmukta

Own little and be replete.
    Own much and be restless.
    Therefore the Sage embraces the ONE
    And sets an example for the whole world.
    — TAO TE CHING

The appearance of the Tathagatas in the world is for the benefit of all beings; out of a great compassionate heart they turn the wheel of the Dharma.
    — GANDAVYHUA SUTRA

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

October 30, 2019 Theme for Contemplation: The Jivanmukta
    The mind, as it exerts all its powers to the limit of
    human capacity, is flooded with light. — PLATO

Never did eye see the sun unless it had first become sun-like, and never can the soul have vision of the First Beauty unless itself be beautiful.

— PLOTINUS

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

October 31, 2019 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: The Jivanmukta
    Call the world if you please ‘The vale of Soul-making’. — JOHN KEATS

Man should study in three schools…He should send the elemental or material body to the elemental school, the sidereal or etheral body to the sidereal school, and the eternal or luminous body to the school of eternity.
    — PICO della MIRANDOLA

• Ramprakash ML
    Participant
    Ramprakash ML

The office of the Guru (one who dispels darkness of ignorance with light of Wisdom) is held in highest esteem.

In Manavadharma Shastras the sacred relationship between the Guru and the Chela is stated in several verses.

Guru is placed even higher than the parents of the chela as the former gives the chela spiritual birth the latter furnish the body

Guru is equivalent to Parabrahmam

How the chela is to conduct himself in the exalted presence of his Guru is described.

I have Max Miller’s translation of Manu. Will post the same sometimes from it

Actually, this student feels, Dakshina Murthy is not a single personage but a fraternity of highest Adepts who have renounced Nirvana and watch over humanity till the last of them is emancipated

It is supreme self-sacrifice. They are collectively referred to as The Great Sacrifice, the Wondrous Being etc

Ref : SD vol 1, pp
    206, 207, 208 et seq

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Ramprakash ML.

• James
    Participant
    James

Hi Peter and Ram, thanks for your comments, realised I should have asked how the Gurudeva might relate/contribute to our own personal human life and growth.
    Looking from this angle, I would suggest that Gurudeva is our Solar Angel, the ones who endowed man with his conscious, immortal EGO by incarnating in animal man as described by HPB SD2 88.
    There also appears to have been external instructors at that time as well. These beings have once been men and passed through the seven rings of a previous Manvantara, which we have discussed this previously.
    Another point guru translates to teacher. however when deva is added, technically this would indicate an Angelic being rather than a human Mahatma,

I used Solar Angle, coined by HPB which she indicated the English should do. However if one is of Indian ancestry, Sanskrit would most likely be the preferred choice. As these entities would know the path each of us is on explains why different philosophy’s have different approaches and end results. Like ‘Gurudeva sits beneath the banyan Tree’, as compared to ‘The Master in the Heart Meditation’ where, it is said, he will eventually appear.

As these beings are described as the thought producers it would appear that when one starts on the higher or occult path that it is these beings that start illumining the mind, first with dreams then later with direct thoughts and pictures beyond anything an outer teachers words can describe. Perhaps best illustrated by HPB’s words below.
    Also ‘Pure Reason’ she speaks of is a facility of ‘Buddhi’ as I understand it

Knowledge comes in visions, first in dreams and then in pictures presented to the inner eye during meditation. Thus have I been taught the whole system of evolution, the laws of being and all else that I know—the mysteries of life and death, the workings of karma. Not a word was spoken to me of all this in the ordinary way, except, perhaps, by way of confirmation of what was thus given me—nothing taught me in writing. And knowledge so obtained is so clear, so convincing, so indelible in the impression it makes upon the mind, that all other sources of information, all other methods of teaching with which we are familiar dwindle into insignificance in comparison with this. One of the reasons why I hesitate to answer offhand some questions put to me is the difficulty of expressing in sufficiently accurate language things given to me in pictures, and comprehended by me by the pure Reason, as Kant would call it.

[A fragment from the pen of H.P.B.; at least it is attributed to her in The Theosophist, Vol. XXXI, March, 1910, pg. 685.]

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  James.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  James.

• Ramprakash ML
      Participant
      Ramprakash ML

James,
      I think your surmise that Gurudeva is a Solar Angel is correct. This is borne out by the teaching in the S.D. regarding the mystical ray which connects our Ego with the particular Hierarchy of which there are seven (six synthesised by the seventh) which form the manifested Logos – the Blazing Dragon of Wisdom (Verse 7, Stanza III of S.D. vol. I) It is pretty clear from the following passage in S.D., I, 572-3 :

“The star under which a human entity is born, says the Occult teaching, will remain for ever its star, throughout the whole cycle of its incarnations in one Manvanvantara. But this is not his astrological star. The latter is concerned and connected with the personality, the former with the INDIVIDUALITY. The “Angel” of that star or the Dhyani-Buddha will be either the guiding or simply presiding “Angel,” so to say, in every new birth of the Monad, which is part of his own essence, through [it should be though – a typo] his vehicle, man, may remain for ever ignorant of this fact. The adepts have each their Dhyani-Buddha, their elder “twin Soul,” and they know it, calling it “Father-Soul,” and “Father-Fire.” It is only at the last supreme initiation, however, that they learn it when placed faced to face with the bright “Image.”

Our celestial prototype–our Solar Deva–is indeed our Guru Deva.

He is to be found in the Hall of Wisdom–“the Hall which lies beyond, wherein all shadows are unknown, and where the light of Truth shines with unfading glory.” (Voice, p. 8) We are taught to seek for Him who is to give thee birth in the Hall of Wisdom, “beyond which stretch the shoreless waters of AKSHARA, the indestructible Fount of Omniscience.” (Voice, p. 7)

Yet the Chela also meets his Guru Deva in flesh–an illusion.

As it is said : “For, O Disciple ! Before thou wert made fit to meet thy Teacher face to face, thy MASTER light to light, what wert thou told ?”

Teacher with capital T, and MASTER in caps seem significant.

Thanks for the excellent quote from HPB’s writing of the way Disciples learn with out speaking a word. Similar narration is found in Judge’s Occult stories.

• James
    Participant
    James

Hi Ram, Thanks for your reply Some consider HPB is talking about two different entities or states here.

“The star under which a human entity is born, says the Occult teaching, will remain for ever its star, throughout the whole cycle of its incarnations in one Manvanvantara.”
    At the Arhat initiation the ‘whole cycle of incarnations’ is finished, (known in Christianity as the Crucifixion/Ascension) when one is off the wheel of rebirth, the Solar Angle that came in at individualisation and built the causal body out of its own essence, appears to leave as its job of connecting matter to Spirit is finished, the causal body destroyed, its essence making him a fully evolved immortal Soul or divine Ego, directly linked to Spirit, Monad, Our Father which out in Heaven, Father Fire.

Fire and Flame destroy the body of an Arhat, their essence makes him immortal.” (proem 6) SD.

Here one could say that the body of the Arhat being the ‘causal or Karmic body’, all karma stored there has been exhausted, its residue destroyed by fire of that level. He is now immortal and knows it.
    Arhat is not the highest Initiation but is the start of the highest path. The highest Supreme Initiation is yet to come when placed faced to face with the bright “Image,”

The Arhat is one who has entered the best and highest path, and is thus emancipated from re-birth. Glossary 28

There are three evolutions linked to the three Logoi, Spirit-Soul-Matter. The lowest to man of clay, the second to the spiritual triad, and highest to Spirit, or the highest two Solar planes.

“Our earth and man,” says the Commentary, “being the products of the three Fires”—whose three names answer, in Sanskrit, to “the electric fire, the Solar fire, and the fire produced by friction,”—these three fires, explained on the Cosmic and human planes, are Spirit, Soul, and Body, the three great Root groups, with their four additional divisions. SD2 247

The whole of the New Testament is an allegorical representation of the Cycle of Initiation, CW 11 495

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  James.

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar