Art of Living Study Group

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

• Creator
    Topic

ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

Weekly Theme for Contemplation:  Illumination

“The eye of wisdom has a translucent awareness of self-consciousness as pure primordial light.”

— Aquarian Almanac

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 6 , 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

Above all let the Sanctuary be purified. — CAGLIOSTRO

• Garo Ketchian
      Participant
      Garo Ketchian

Cagliostro probably referred to the Sanctuary as being the Temple of Solomon or the human body. The act of purification being the work of sacrificing to the higher Self. The lower mind being pulled down towards the lower desire nature “above all” needs purification to raise the self by the Self.

We can expand the idea of Sanctuary to include the environment. We can see how selfishness and greed have damaged the environment and created the need for purification. The false idea that we are separate from nature has lead to the need for the karmic awakening that we are in fact part of nature.

• Gerry Kiffe
        Gerry Kiffe

what do you think is the most important choice an individual must make to break the cycle of separateness? What is the tipping point in reversing the trend?

• Garo Ketchian
          Participant
          Garo Ketchian

Different people may arrive at the belief in the unity of life in different ways. The idea of universal brotherhood exists in astral form to help us understand that we can rise above the personality. The Theosophical ideas of Karma and Reincarnation help us understand our interconnectedness with the life. Suffering helps us question the nature of our life and promotes the search for the causes that come into play.

Recent developments in science and medicine can be shown as examples of how awakening can take place. There are a number of diseases that have dramatically increased in recent years particularly in the US. Autism, Alzheimer’s, Obesity, Psoriasis, and Gluten intolerance are a few of these. A number of scientists and doctors very recently are linking these illnesses to the practice of the widespread use of glyphosate herbicide commercially on crops and by consumers. Roundup is a glyphosate herbicide, but there are many brands on the market.

Traces of glyphosate herbicide have been found in the food we eat. It has now been found in all of the cells of the human body including the bone marrow. It has been found in human breast milk. Scientists and medical doctors are finding that there is a link to inflammation in the intestines as a result of glyphosate in the food. The above named illnesses all seem to have a common thread. They all have symptoms of intestinal inflammation.

Scientists and medical doctors are normally not very good at broad minded approaches to health. Nor do they commonly view nature from a universal perspective. Nor are they inclined towards seeing the big picture and the fact that they are not separate from the rest of life. These recent developments may have materialized because those in charge of caring for the sick have come to realize that the health of the people has reached the crisis stage.

These scientists and medical doctors stand out from the others. They look with the eyes of compassion and see more clearly how nature and man is interconnected.

• Jon Fergus
          Jon Fergus

That’s a great question Gerry. I’ll give one perspective just from my limited experience.

I’d say perhaps the most important step is the first major “pledge” of commitment to “walk the path” (without which I don’t think there can be much progress), but then the tipping point of actual identification with separateness?… seems at this stage of our development to perhaps be directly connected to our identification with the thoughts we hear in our mind. There’s a kind of switch that can happen in certain types of meditation where one sort of restfully detaches from that identification and becomes more of an observer of that mental noise, and there’s a kind of small expansiveness of sense of self when that happens. It’s also the kind of thing you can practice during daily life, and with each time this occurs it seems to kind of take the edge off, or remove some of the strength of our separate identification. Also seems to help with how we view the people we’re interacting with in those moments.

That said… the sense of separateness is so deep I often feel quite helpless to even moderately challenge it in actual practical experience. This is just one small observation I’ve made over the years.

• Gerry Kiffe
            Gerry Kiffe

Jon I appreciate your heartfelt response to my question. I too feel that it is an overwhelming mountain to climb but we hear a distant call from deep inside that urges us on. There is a larger life, a deeper feeling, a more profound perspective perhaps just around the corner.

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 7, 2018 Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

Let the wise abandon the way of darkness and follow the light on the Path. — BUDDHA

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 8, 2018 Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

Revere the Heroes who are full of goodness and light. — PYTHAGORAS

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 9, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

The mind, as it exerts all its powers to the limit of human capacity, is flooded with light. — PLATO

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 10, 2017 Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

The power of the “initiatory” in right direction has to be developed, and that must be done by exercise. — ROBERT CROSBIE

Robert Crosbie 1849

• barbara
    Participant
    barbara

Gerry “what do you think is the most important choice an individual must make to break the cycle of separateness? What is the tipping point in reversing the trend?”

There are very important questions. Speaking personally, it lies in the choiceless choice. Walking the Path of Wisdom is not something I choose because if it were, I probably would have changed my mind numerous times. Rather, there is an irresistible pull from an unknown source that makes me feel the emptiness of the full all around and that there is only one open door in the wasteland.

I do not know the tipping point in reversing the trend but my guess is that, similar to Jon’s description, there are meditations where we can slightly loosen the chain of identification with our lesser self and identify more with the larger Whole. These experiences bring a sense of expansiveness which we can try to hold on to as long as possible into our daily life, shifting from the subject / object state of mind to viewing all as a manifestation of the One Life.

These statements from Subba Row to Sinnett in ML embody deep meanings for the students –

The mere acquisition of wonder-working powers can never secure immortality for the student of occult Science unless he has learnt the means of shifting gradually his sense of individuality from his corruptible material body to the incorruptible and eternal Non-Being represented by his seventh principle. Please consider this as the real aim of Occult Science.

• Gerry Kiffe
      Gerry Kiffe

It seems that where we are in evolution requires us to establish that tipping point for oneself. If the return journey is to regain an intimate awareness for the source of all consciousness then each of us must start from where we are at, whatever that might be. I suppose the main thing is to get moving in the right direction. Lead on! I will go with you.

• Kirk Marzulo
    Participant
    Kirk Marzulo

“What do you think is the most important choice an individual must make to break the cycle of separateness?”

To assign a greater reality to “the unseen” (but which is only glimpsed or spiritually intuited), than to that which is seen.
    Despite one’s failures, personal limitations and karmic liabilities, to wholeheartedly affirm in silence and strive to perceive through meditation and practice, the fundamental, underlying unity of all souls, like rays of a single Sun.

““Oh, wise man, remove the conception that not-Spirit is Spirit,” says Sankaracharya. Atma is not-Spirit in its final Parabrahmic state, Iswara or Logos is Spirit; or, as Occultism explains, it is a compound unity of manifested living Spirits, the parent-source and nursery of all the mundane and terrestrial monads, plus their divine reflection, which emanate from, and return into, the Logos, each in the culmination of its time.” -S.D., Vol 1, p 573.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  Kirk Marzulo.

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 11, 2017 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

Let your eyes look directly forward, and your gaze be straight before you. — PROVERBS

• ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    ModeratorTN

January 12, 2018 Weekly Theme for Contemplation: Illumination

The aim and object of all initiation is to ascertain His attributes. His connection with humanity, and realize His sacred presence in every human heart. – Bhavani Shankar

• barbara
    Participant
    barbara

Gerry: what do you think is the most important choice an individual must make to break the cycle of separateness?

barbara: It would be helpful to understand – what is the cause to this sense of separateness?

• Garo Ketchian
      Participant
      Garo Ketchian

A very good question! What is the cause of this sense of separateness?

The Greek philosophers stressed the importance of knowing the Self. The human mind has a duel nature. The lower mind is influenced by the lower desires. The higher mind is influenced by the higher aspirations of the soul.

Our personalities are certainly separate one from the other. Our lower desires are also separate. The lower mind under the influence of lower desire is certainly handicapped from recognizing the unity of life. How can it rise above a separatist existence without the influence of higher mind?

The Greek philosophers must have seen that without Self knowledge the human condition would be doomed towards seeing only separation. Self knowledge then was the roadmap towards finding unity in existence and providing liberation from a separate and illusionary world. To gain Self knowledge we must lose the sense of separateness and replace it with the sense of brotherhood.

• Kirk Marzulo
    Participant
    Kirk Marzulo

Theosophy posits that Unity is a fact in Nature. There is no plane or condition in which a human being is separate from Nature, from Spirit (or Deity) or from any other human being or creature in Nature. It is only the limitations of our “seeing” and knowing that isolates a phenomena from its own interminable history and the countless interconnecting, interdependent threads that indissolubly bound it (or us) to the rest of Life. This is a fundamental verity of “non-dual” Eastern Philosophical systems upheld by the greatest mystics of all traditions and increasingly by modern science. Buddhism speaks of “Dependent Origination” in which no phenomena, when properly examined, can be seen as existing in any way “independently” of a vast, endless chain of prior conditions and causes. Similarly, in the development of Chaos Theory in the early ‘60’s, Lorenz coined the term the “butterfly effect” in which extremely minute differences in “initial conditions” in one state of a “deterministic nonlinear system” results in enormous differences and outcomes in later states. In The Vocation of Man (1800), the German philosopher Fichte summed up the idea nicely by stating that “you could not remove a single grain of sand from its place without thereby … changing something throughout all parts of the immeasurable whole”.

According to H. P. B., humanity once “saw” and knew its unity with all of nature. But increasingly enamored with the magnificent vehicle nature had sacrificially created for purposes of incarnation, we began to worship and act for the supposed benefit of the vehicle rather than the Spirit. This is part of the symbolism of the ‘Fall’ of man and part of our “Atlantean” heritage. As a karmic result, we lost that inner vision. Now we must struggle to find our way back to it.

• barbara
      Participant
      barbara

Great points, Garo and Kirk. It sounds like that we need to recover this sense of unity, which we once possessed by rising up to the higher planes and overcome our senses that reinforce this feeling of separateness. It appears as we identify with the material planes where manifestations are concrete and separate, and the sense “I am I” (or the Ahamkara) becomes more predominant, we lost our ability to see the fine threads which connect everything.

• Gerry Kiffe
      Gerry Kiffe

I agree good points from Kirk and Garo. I really appreciate these contributions.

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar