Sacred Texts Study Group

Sacred Texts: The Twin Verses from the Dhammapada

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster

The Twin Verses of The Dhammapada

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sacred Texts: The Twin Verses from the Dhammapada

• Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of ModeratorTNModeratorTN

Chapter One: The Twin Verses

1. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: all that we are is founded on our thoughts and formed of our thoughts. If a man thinks or acts with an evil thought, pain pursues him, as the wheel of the wagon follows the hoof of the ox that draws it. 1

2. All that we are is the result of what we have thought: all that we are is founded on our thoughts and formed of our thoughts. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness pursues him like his own shadow that never leaves him. 2

3. “He reviled me, he beat me and conquered and then plundered me,” who express such thoughts tie their mind with the intention of retaliation. In them hatred will not cease.

4. “He reviled me, he beat me and conquered and then plundered me,” who do not express such thoughts, in them hatred will cease.

5. In this world never is enmity appeased by hatred; enmity is ever appeased by Love. This is the Law Eternal. 3

6. The many who know not this also forget that in this world we shall one day die. They do not restrain themselves. But those who recognize the Law end their quarrels soon.

7. Whoso lives pursuing pleasures, his senses unrestrained, immoderate in eating, indolent, devitalized, him verily doth Mara uproot as a gale a weak tree.

-Theosophy Company Rendition “This is not a new translation. It is only a rendition. Over a score of translations have been consulted in its compilation and of course our debt of gratitude to them is large.” — The Publishers

• Profile photo of ModeratorTN
    ModeratorTN
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of ModeratorTNModeratorTN

The Twin Verses — CANTO I

1. All the phenomena of existence have mind as their precursor, mind as their supreme leader, and of mind are they made. If with an impure mind one speaks or acts, suffering follows him in the same way as the wheel follows the foot of the drawer (of the chariot).

2. All the phenomena of existence have mind as their precursor, mind as their supreme leader, and of mind are they made. If with a pure mind one speaks or acts, happiness follows him like his shadow that never leaves him.

3. The hatred of those who harbor such ill feelings as, “He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me,” is never appeased.

4. The hatred of those who do not harbor such ill feelings as, “He reviled me, assaulted me, vanquished me and robbed me,” is easily pacified.

5. Through hatred, hatreds are never appeased; through non-hatred are hatreds always appeased — and this is a law eternal.

6. Most people never realize that all of us here shall one day perish. But those who do realize that truth settle their quarrels peacefully.

7. The pleasure-seeker who finds delight in physical objects, whose senses are unsubdued, who is immoderate in eating, indolent and listless, him Mara (the Evil One) prevails against, as does the monsoon wind against a weak-rooted tree.

Dhammapada: Wisdom of the Buddha translated by Harischandra Kaviratna

• Profile photo of Gerry Kiffe
      Gerry Kiffe
      Profile photo of Gerry KiffeGerry Kiffe

What I am gathering from these initial statements of the Dhammapada is that the mind is the battle ground for growth and evolution. It is here where we must pay special attention. How do others see it?

© 2017 Universal Theosophy

Skip to toolbar